National Badger Week
From June 25th – July 2nd it’s National Badger Week in the UK. We thought it was only fitting that this week’s blog post should star our business namesake.
Badgers are nocturnal and elusive creatures and here are 5 facts that you might not have known about them.
1) Badgers are very house proud creatures. They will not eat or relieve themselves in their homes. In fact, they actually create a series of shallow pits away from their setts that act as communal toilets. They also regularly clean out their sleeping areas by dragging out the old bracken and hay to prevent a build up of fleas.
2) Unlike foxes and dogs, badgers have five toes and huge claws to help them with digging.
3) In spite of their portly appearance, badgers can run up to 19 mph.
4) The Welsh name for badger is ‘moch daear’ which translates to ‘earth pig’.
5) Badgers inherit their setts from their parents, many of which are centuries old.
At Badger Design we’re proud to share a name with such a unique and beloved animal.